Trackside3D magnet coupling kit for the Hornby HST Power Cars and standard Mk3 (slam door) coaches with NEM pockets. These are designed to work with any Hornby HST power car with the bogie mounted NEM pocket. This design works for the standard Mk3 coaches (slam door) with the bogie mounted NEM pockets. If your NEM pocket is mounted to the body of the coach, you most likely have the newer Mk3SD (Slide door coaches). For Mk3SD coaches, you will want the T3D-041-004 pack which has a similar coupling design specifically designed for the Mk3SD coaches.
Please note: T3D-041-000 does NOT work for Slide Door (Mk3SD) coaches as those coaches have a different NEM pocket mechanism and extra buffer detailing. We have specifically designed a coupling for the Mk3SD coaches (see T3D-041-004).
These models should be 3D printed upright with the open end of the cylinder facing up. For the HST power car couplings, you should enable supports. You can use the Trackside3D small object profile with supports, but reduce the print speed to 10mm/sec except for travel which can be left as-is and enable retraction on layer change.
This pack comes with the following models:
- HST Power Car Standard Coupling
- HST Power Car XC Coupling (eXtra Close)
- Mk3 Coach Standard Coupling
- Mk3 Coach XC Coupling
- Mk3 Coach Adjustable Coupling (no NEM block)
All of our magnetic couplings are designed to be easy to build:
- Download and Print
- Remove the brim
- Select your magnet
- Push to install the magnet
- Add the cap
- Slide coupling into your rolling stock
- 3mm diameter cylinder magnets (1/8" also fit)
- Up to 6mm in height, recommend max 4mm for use with the cap
- Use axial magnets for polarity couplings
- Use diametric couplings for non-polarity couplings
If you are planning to build a lot of couplings, we recommend you look at our magnet polarity tool 028-009.
- Coupling connection "floats" to expand around tight curves
- Designed for magnetic auto-uncoupling
- Designed to balance when connected
- Designed with a coupling action when magnets are in proximity
- More prototypical look
- NEM Wedge near edge of pocket for snug connection but easy to remove
Trackside3D have developed a technique for printing NEM couplings on filament printers such as the Creality Ender 3. For more information on this technique and how to successfully print NEM couplings on your filament 3D printer, please visit https://oorail.co.uk